Monday, March 17, 2008

In the mood for meds......

So, the lovely jumble of meds before you represents what a body must endure in prep for a very unnatural process of achieving pregnancy. The boxed items are injectable meds; the yellow boxes are the mix and stick variety to stimulate follicle development, which I started Saturday night (ouch); the blue boxes are the ovulation inhibiting drug, to assure that I don't release the plethora of eggs the yellow boxed meds will create before I take the white boxed meds. The white boxed meds are designed to release the eggs at the time of the retrieval. Wow, I know. Then we have the pills, which are 1. the solitary Valium that I am supposed to take the morning of the retrieval, at home, in prep for sedation, 2. the final antibiotic pill that I am supposed to take the night after the retrieval, and 3. the progesterone suppositories that I have to use, during the 2ww after IVF, to replace what they take out with the ovarian fluid surrounding the eggs. (BTW, they are vaginal suppositories). Wow again.

I am, understandably, a little overwhelmed. Fortunately, some of them are familiar to me from the IUI's, only in higher doses this time. Unfortunately for Brad, the combination of my AF symptoms (cramps, moodiness) and that of the Menopur shots (cramps, bloated-ness, mood swings) are probably not fun for him either. If he complains, I will volunteer to give him a saline shot in the stomach to help him find his empathy. Hmph....that sounded a little persnickety, didn't it? Warning: Mood subject swing without prior notice!

2 comments:

alicia said...

Ha ha! I SOO think you should give him a sympathy shot! Good luck lady, that is a lot of drugs! Crazy!

cjsayers77 said...

WOW! Sticky IVF, Baby dust to you! And I thought there was a lot with IUIs! And don't ya just love the progesterone suppositories?! I call it pro GROSSterone!