Friday, August 29, 2008

6 months! (24 weeks)

My how time flies when when you are pregnant! I can't believe I am 6 months along. Baby Boy is growing like a weed. He is supposed to be at least a foot long by now and if he gained the 4 oz predicted by my pregnancy book in the last week then he is a whopping 1 lb 10 oz about now (the doctor said he weighed 1 lb 6 oz last week per our u/s)! Slow down baby you're going to be huge! His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon (unless he takes after me and then he will stay pasty white bordering on translucent indefinitely!).

Meanwhile back at the uterus, the dizziness has slowed down thanks to the anti-vertigo medication my GP, Dr. T, prescribed. Official diagnosis: labrythitis w/ vertigo. I only had to take the meds for 2 days and now I only need them if I get room spinning dizziness. Basically if I avoid quick head turning movements then I am golden. :) Pregnancy wise, my uterus is supposed to be the size of a soccer ball by now and my belly is definitely reflective of that....I have begun to get ridiculous comments like "Only 6 months??!! Are you having twins?!" and "You're all belly!" from my co-workers, patients, and their families. I assure you there's only one in there and I am tempted to start carrying a picture of a 9 months pregnant lady to assure everyone that I have a reasonably normal sized pg belly and that I will get a lot bigger! :)

The Cathey household has been all about nesting this week. I decided that I wanted to purge some of our misc. crap and generally clean and rearrange things. Papa Bear (aka Brad) is a little tired of my 'honey do' lists, although I have been doing some serious manual labor myself (and he had a reprieve 2 nights this week in the form of bowling to practice for next week's start to his company's corporate league). I have been sorting, donating to goodwill, and putting clothes that are hopeless for the remaining warm weather in containers in the basement for storage....our poor washer has been running non-stop.....if it is made of cloth (linens, throw rugs, jackets, dog beds, etc) then I washed it this week. I still have some closets to tackle and further organization to do but the house will easily be ready for baby if we are come December! :)

Behold!!! This is a BEFORE picture of the nursery! It was previously Brad's office and now holds only his desk and 2 PC's which will be moved out of there tomorrow when our friends Mike and Jennifer come up in the morning! I am so excited by the progress!



I am going to go look at nursery bedding tonight! I have been browsing online but haven't found anything I really like (everything is too busy and theme-y) except a set at Pottery Barn Kids that was really simple (polka-dots on one side, oxford stripe on the other side) that turned out to be $500 for a bumper pad and crib skirt!!!!!!!!! Wow! I better hit the pavement if we are going to find anything we like for a more reasonable price! I'll keep you updated. And I know, I know... I'll try to take and post a belly pic soon!


“Change is the essence of life.

Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become.”



0 comments: